How to apply for a marriage license in michigan

If you’re getting married in Michigan, you must first apply for a marriage license.
It’ll cost you $20.00 to $30.00 (based on residency), and you’ll have to use it within 33 days.

Where to Apply

Where must I go to get a marriage license?

You can apply for a Michigan marriage license at the county clerk’s office, but be aware of the complex residency requirements spelled out further below.


How much will my marriage license cost me?

If either you or your fiancé is a resident of Michigan, the marriage license will cost $20. If neither of you are residents, it costs $30.

Note: If you can’t afford the license fee, the probate court can waive it.


Are you or your fiancé a resident of Michigan?

If either you or fiancé is a resident of Michigan, apply for a marriage license in either’s county of legal residence.

Is neither of you a resident of Michigan?

If neither of you live in Michigan, you must apply for a marriage license in the county where the marriage ceremony will be held.


Where in Michigan can I get married?

If you or your soon-to-be spouse is a resident of Michigan, you can marry anywhere in the state. Otherwise, you’ll have to marry in the county where you purchased the marriage license.


What information will the application ask for?

You’ll be asked to provide your name, gender, residence, date and place of birth, total prior marriages, social security number, phone number, and parents’ birth names and birthplaces.


Must we both apply together?

If you’re not submitting your marriage license application online, then you must apply in person and together.

Age Requirements

How old do I have to be to marry?

Aged 18 and over?

Adults aged 18 and over can marry as long as they’re able to enter into a legal contract.

Aged 16 and 17?

If you’re 16 or 17 years old, your custodial parent or guardian must submit a county clerk provided consent form. Proof of parenthood or guardianship is required.

Aged 15 and under?

Fifteen year olds and younger can’t lawfully marry in Michigan.

Premarital Education

Am I required to get premarital counseling?

The premarital counseling requirement was abolished on January 1, 2001.

Waiting Period

When will I get my marriage license?

Your marriage license will be available for pick up three days after you apply, excluding weekends. For instance, apply Monday to pick up on Thursday.

Can the waiting period be waived?

The county clerk can waive the waiting period for good cause and $10.

Do we have to pick up the license together?

Some counties will allow you to pick up the marriage license alone, provided you bring the missing person’s ID.


How long will my marriage license last?

Your marriage license will expire 33 days after you submit your application.


What type of ID must I show?

Bring unexpired photo ID to confirm your age and residence, such as a driver’s license, passport, state-issued ID card, or military ID card.

Is my birth certificate required?

Minors between the age of 16 and 17 must bring a certified copy of their birth certificate. For some counties, it’s 21 years.

Is non-English identification acceptable?

Non-English ID must be accompanied by a certified and notarized translation. Non-English passports must be coupled with an I-94 form.

Blood Test

Do I have to get a blood test?

The blood test requirement hasn’t been in effect since January 1, 2001. Instead, you’ll be given information on HIV, STDs, and prenatal care.


Do I have to bring proof of divorce?

If you’re divorced, you don’t have to bring a copy of your divorce decree as proof.


Do I have to prove I’m a widow or widower?

If your prior spouse passed away, you don’t have to present proof of death.


Are witnesses required at my ceremony?

Two adult witnesses aged 18 or over must attend your marriage ceremony. Afterward, their names and residences must be recorded on the marriage license.

Name Change

How do I change my name after marriage?

Your marriage certificate allows you to undergo a name change after marriage with the SSA, Michigan SOS, and other institutions. You can use an online name change service that assists in completing the necessary paperwork before or after marriage.

License Return

When does my license need to go back?

Your completed marriage license must be returned to the issuing county clerk to be recorded within 10 days after your marriage ceremony.

Marriage Certificate

How do I get copies of my marriage certificate?

You can buy certified copies of your marriage certificate in person or by mail for $15-34 from the county clerk or state vital records office.

Common-law Marriage

Can I enter into a common-law marriage?

Michigan will only recognize a common-law marriage that was established before January 1, 1957.

Cousin Marriage

Am I allowed to marry my cousin?

You can’t lawfully marry your first cousin in Michigan.

Proxy Marriage

Can I have a proxy marriage?

You cannot have someone else—the proxy—stand in for you during the marriage ceremony. You must be there.

Civil Ceremony

Where can I get married in a civil ceremony?

Contact the magistrate court to schedule your civil ceremony. The civil marriage fee is $10–20.

Office Locations

Where will you apply?


Share your questions or comments


I don’t have a driver’s license, and I just applied for a state ID so the only ID I have currently is a temporary personal ID card, besides my passport. Can I use a temporary Michigan ID card to get married?

Can I use a temporary Michigan ID card to get married?

Maybe. You’ll have to contact the county clerk’s office to get approval.

I am a resident of Kalamazoo and I would like to marry my Czech partner. What does she need (documents, anything else)? Are there any special rules we should know?

What does she need (documents, anything else)? Are there any special rules we should know?

She just needs to bring ID. There are no other special requirements for non-citizens.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.

Marriage License Blog

Check out the latest entries from our marriage license blog.

How to apply for a marriage license in michigan

Common Law Marriage: Real or Fake

Common-law marriage has diverse names, from “marriage in fact”, “marriage by repute and habit”, “informal…

How to apply for a marriage license in michigan

Where Does All That Marriage License Money Go?

Apart from imposing penalties and fines on offenders across the divide, states around the country have enacted laws imposing non-offender…

How to apply for a marriage license in michigan

Premarital Preparation Courses: Big Moneysavers

One of the truths from research is that through premarital preparation courses and programs divorces are reduced and healthy marriages…

Response to COVID-19:

To reduce the spread of Coronavirus and to protect the safety of the public and staff, the State of Michigan Vital Records Department is closed to the public.

See below for options in performing each service and read the corresponding web page carefully on how to proceed:

Birth, Death, Marriage and Divorce Records

Order Certificates

The following records are on file with the Michigan Division for Vital Records and Health Statistics for events that occurred in the State of Michigan:

Affidavit of Parentage

June 1, 1997-present (Records filed prior to 1997 may be obtained from the court where they were filed.)

Order by Mail

  • Order A Record by Mail Via US Postal Service by downloading and completing the application from this website. Mail the completed application, a photocopy of your valid ID (if applicable), and the fee to the PO Box address listed on the application. Certified copies of vital records are $34. Optional RUSH fees and processing times are listed on each application.**

Order Online

  • Order A Record Online from Fees are $58.50: $34 for the record, $12 for the RUSH fee, and $12.50 for the VitalChek processing fee. This is a two-week processing time. There is an optional overnight delivery fee of $19.75, for a total of $78.25, and you should receive the record in 1-3 business days.

Order by Phone

  • Order A Record by Phone using VitalChek at 866-443-9897. Same processing and fees apply.

Correct a Vital Record

Requests to correct or change Michigan birth and death certificates must be sent through the mail with the appropriate applications and proof. Select a link below for more information.

Please contact our office at 517-335-8666 or [email protected] if you have questions or concerns pertaining to vital records.

The State Vital Records Office is closed on recognized state holidays.

**Processing and mail times may be delayed.

Notice of Intent to Claim Paternity with the court in any county in Michigan. By filing a notice of intent to claim paternity, this person will be presumed to be the father of the child unless the mother denies that the claimant is the father. This notice will be admissible in court. Timely filing of this notice entitles the putative father notice of any hearing involving that child to determine the identity of the father of the child and any hearing to determine or terminate his paternal rights to the child.

The Notice of Intent to Claim Paternity must be filed with the court prior to the birth of the child. In order to be accepted for filing, the form will need to be fully completed and notarized.

Affidavit of Parentage form can be used to establish the parentage after the birth of a child and may be used to have information on the father of a child added to the certificate of birth for the child. This affidavit may be completed at the time of the child’s birth or at any other time after the birth. Completion of this affidavit is voluntary. It indicates the parents’ wish to acknowledge parentage of a child.

It is intended for use by couples who were not married at the time the child was conceived, nor at the time of birth. Proper completion of the form is very important. Forms that are not properly completed will not be accepted for filing. Instructions for completing and filing the Affidavit of Parentage can be found on page two of the form.

Muskegon County Clerk’s 1st floor Vital Records Office is open to the public Monday through Thursday from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. for all services except for CPL renewals, and until 4:30 for all services except marriage license applications and CPL licenses. No appointments are necessary. Until further notice, there will be no ceremonies performed in the Clerk’s Office.

1. If you plan to come into our office, please be advised that you will have to go through a short health-screening procedure which includes having your temperature taken and answering a few questions. Using the QR code below will speed up the entrance process. Just keep the final screen up on your phone to show at the front door.

2. You will be required to wear a mask or face-covering at all times.

3. Due to limited space inside the offices, it will be necessary for you to have all of your requests/applications completed before you are allowed inside the office, including having your identification documents and payment ready.

4. Please keep in mind that the offices close at 4:00 p.m. and some services can take up to 20 minutes to perform. Please allow for this when coming in to our office.


Both applicants must be at least 18 years old. Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age must appear with their certified birth certificate and their parent or legal guardian (with Order of Guardianship or Custody and photo identification) to complete a consent form.

One or both applicants must be a resident of Muskegon County. If both of you are a resident of another Michigan county, then you must apply in the county in which you live. If both of you reside out of state, you may apply as an out-of-state applicant.



Please complete the online Affidavit For License to Marry as a public user. The male’s information must be entered first and then the female’s. Make note of the online marriage number at the conclusion of your application to bring with you when picking up the license. If you do not have access to the internet, you may use the public computers located on the 6th floor of the Michael E. Kobza Hall of Justice between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. You will need the full names of each parties’ parents and their birthplace, plus social security numbers for both parties who are applying for the marriage license.

Picking Up Your License:

After you finish the online Affidavit for License to Marry, bring the online marriage number provided to our office at your scheduled appointment time. Only one applicant is allowed to be present when picking up the marriage license. The one who is present must have picture ID, be a resident of Muskegon County and must have the original picture ID or other proof of age of the person not present. Acceptable forms of proof of age and/or residency are: Certified birth certificate, Driver’s License or State Identification, Passport, or Military Identification.

Waiting Period:

NOTE: During the limited office hours we are waiving the three-day waiting period to pick up your marriage license. After applying, you will leave with your marriage license which will be valid three days from your application date.

There is a three day waiting period so you must apply for and pick up your license at least three days before your wedding date. For example, apply on Monday, the license will be valid on Thursday. The license is valid for 30 days. The three day waiting period starts when the application is notarized in our office.


The fee is $20.00 for Muskegon County residents and $30.00 for out of state residents, and is due when you come in to the Clerk’s office.

The County Clerk’s office will accept payments in the form of:

Michigan has a three (3) day waiting period before a license can be picked up. The following is a list of the pick-up schedule:

If You Apply On:

You may request to waive the three (3) day waiting period by completing a waiver petition in the Clerk’s Office. If the waiver is approved, an additional $25 fee is added to the license fee.

The directions below are offered to be of assistance to those individuals who wish to change their last name to the last name of their spouse or to hyphenate both last names. An attorney should be consulted for other name change arrangements.

  • If one or both of the applicants plan on a traditional name change, as a result of marriage, (taking partner’s last name or hyphenating both last names), they may sign with that new name at the bottom of the license.
    • Regardless of how the license is signed, there is no requirement in the State of Michigan for individuals to change their name and no time frame in which it must be done after the ceremony.

  • The first step in the name change process is to visit the Social Security Administration.

Once the ceremony has occurred, individuals may take the certified copy of the marriage license to the Social Security Administration to change their name with Social Security.

    • An individual will also need a valid state-issued ID or driver’s license, current social security card/number, and birth certificate. Other documents accepted in place of those listed above can be found here.

  • The second step in the name change process is to visit the State of Michigan Secretary of State.

To change a name on a Michigan Identification Card or Driver’s license, an individual must go to any Secretary of State Branch Office with their valid driver’s license or state ID card, a certified copy of the marriage license, and their birth certificate or another form of proof of Legal Presence.

  • When the individual has their new ID, they may then change their name with banks, credit unions, and others (i.e. insurance, bills, memberships, etc.).

Complete our marriage license request form and submit it by email, fax, or mail:

2. Submit the request form and payment by email, fax, or mail. The request form has the necessary address information. If you submit your request by email or fax, you must pay by credit/debit card. If you submit your request by mail, you are welcome to pay by check, money order, or credit/debit card. Please make your check/money order payable to Ingham County Clerk. Please do not mail cash.

Kent County, Michigan

    KentCounty CONNECT –>
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube Translate

Marriage License Application

  1. Set Date. Arrange for wedding ceremony and date before applying.
  2. Apply.Online Marriage License Application, save a trip to the Clerk’s Office by applying online or download a Marriage License Application (PDF). Applications are also available in-person at County Clerk’s Office.
  3. Social Security Numbers: You must provide social security numbers for both applicants. Applicants without a social security number must provide legal explanation in-person at the County Clerk’s Office.
  4. Proof of Age. Government-issued birth certificates and current driver’s licenses or state IDs (copies sufficient) are required for both applicants. Documents must be in English.
    Parental or guardian consent is required for 16 – 17 year old applicants. One parent must be present to sign consent form with valid government issued ID.
  5. Residence. At least one applicant must be a Kent County resident OR both applicants may be non-Michigan residents getting married in Kent County. Proof of address required by showing valid driver’s license or state ID.
  6. Fee. $20.00 for county residents and $30.00 for out-of-state applicants.
  7. Pick Up. Pick up license in person no sooner than 3 days after application at County Clerk’s Office with all required documents. The County Clerk’s Office will NOT process marriage applications after 4:45pm–please plan accordingly.

Please Note:

  • License is good for 33 days from and including application date.
  • Witnesses must be 18 or older.
  • License may be used in any county in Michigan.
  • If ceremony is to be in English, then both parties must understand English.

Judges & Magistrates Who Perform Marriage Ceremonies In Kent County

Grand Rapids District Court (61st) (GR Residents Only)
180 Ottawa Avenue NW, Suite 1400
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
(616) 632-5525

Kentwood District Court (62-B)
4740 Walma Avenue SE
Kentwood, MI 49512
(616) 554-0714

59 th District Court (Grandville Residents Only)
3161 Wilson SE
Grandville, MI 49418
(616) 538-9660

59 th District Court (Walker Residents Only)
4343 Remembrance Road NW
Walker, MI 49534
(616) 453-5765

63 rd District Court
1950 East Beltline NE
Grand Rapids MI 49525
(616) 632-7770 press 0

62 nd District Court – Wyoming (Wyoming Residents Only)
2650 DeHoop Avenue SW
Wyoming, MI 49509
(616) 257-9814

Ministers, priest, rabbis, certain judges. etc, may perform marriage ceremonies in Michigan. Make sure to find out if the person performing your ceremony requires counseling. To obtain information on judges and magistrates in other Michigan counties, contact the County Clerk for the specific county.


County Clerk
Administration Building
300 Monroe Avenue NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2288

Mon-Fri: 8:00am – 4:45pm

Phone: (616) 632-7640
Fax: (616) 632-7645

How to apply for a marriage license in michigan

Robert J. Macomber
Chief Deputy County Clerk

Marriage Records

A marriage record may be purchased by anyone. Click here to review the Marriage Record Index (Records from 1860 to present) first to determine if Emmet County has the marriage record on file.

If you wish to purchase a certified copy of the record by mail, follow the instructions on the Marriage Record Application.
Application for Certified Copy of a Marriage Record

How to Obtain a Marriage License in Emmet County

  • You must apply for a marriage license in the county where you reside. If both parties are from out-of-state you must apply in the county where the marriage will take place.
  • If one or both of the parties is a resident of Emmet County, you can apply in Emmet County and then be married anywhere in Michigan.

A fillable Marriage License Application is available below. It may be completed and e-mailed back to [email protected] The Marriage License will be prepared and one or both parties will need to appear at the County Clerk’s Office with the necessary identification and to sign the Marriage License Application.

Emmet County Resident: $20.00
Out-of-State Resident: $30.00
Waiver: $40.00


  1. Valid Drivers License with correct address OR Valid State Identification Card with correct address
  2. Birth Certificate OR Valid passport


  1. Full name of both parties
  2. Date of birth
  3. Place of birth
  4. Address including name of county
  5. Number of times previously married
  6. Both parents full names including mother’s maiden name
  7. Parents place of birth
  8. Social Security Number


  • There is a three day waiting period after the application is completed before you can pick up and use your marriage license.
  • Your marriage license must be used within thirty-three (33) days from the date of application.
  • The waiting period may be waived by the County Clerk for good and sufficient cause.


  1. Two witnesses are required. Michigan law requires that witnesses must be at least 18 years of age.
  2. Both copies of the Certificate must be completed, printed in black ink or typewritten, by an officiant authorized by the State of Michigan to perform marriages.
  3. Both Parties must sign the license using their married names.
  4. The original Certificate must be returned to the County Clerk’s office within ten (10) days of the ceremony.

The Emmet County Clerk’s Office complies with the Identity Theft Protection Act 452 of 2004

Emmet County, Michigan
200 Division Street, Petoskey MI 49770
(231) 348-1702 | Contact Us

Effective Monday, June 1, 2020, applicants for a Marriage license can apply in person, however, we are still encouraging that marriage license applications to be sent via email at [email protected] Applicants must complete the Affidavit for License to Marry and supply us with photos of their government-issued photo ID. Payment must be made by using the GovPayNow link at the bottom of the page. Once the application and payment are received, applicants will be given a time to pick up the marriage license and take the oath.

To apply for marriage licenses one of the applicants must live in Montcalm County. Both applicants do not need to be in attendance to apply, however you must provide photo identification for both applicants at the time of applying to prove age and residency.

While your birth certificate is not required, you will need to know the information off from it. You need to know your parent’s full names, mother’s maiden name, and the state they both were born in. You also must provide social security numbers for both applicants.

The cost is $20.00 at the time of application. The license will then be ready following a 3-day waiting period. Licenses will not be mailed, therefore you must pick your license up after the 3-day waiting period or you may pay the $10 fee to have the 3 days waived and take the license with you the same day. The license will need to be used within 33 days from the date of application.

If both applicants live out of state and are going to be married in Michigan, they apply in the county the marriage will take place in. The fee for an out of state marriage license is $30. If the applicants need to waive the three day waiting period between the date of application and when the license can be picked up, the fee is an additional $10.

Copies of marriage records are open to the public. To obtain a certified copy of a marriage license that was applied for in Montcalm County you must either:

County Clerk

Marriage Licenses

Where to Apply and Where to Marry.

If either of the couple are Michigan residents, they must apply with the county clerk where one or both have legal residence. Once the license is issued, Michigan residents can marry anywhere in the State. (MCL 551.101)

Requirements for Marriage licenses in the County of Monroe, Michigan are as follows:

  • Both parties must have a driver’s license or state ID.
  • Both parties must sign the affidavit and be present to apply for the license.
  • Both parties must be 16 years of age with the signed consent of their parents or 18 years of age without their parents consent. If either parent is divorced, they must bring proof that they have legal custody of that child before they can sign the consent form.
  • There is a three day waiting period after application.
  • Proof of age must be presented. Certified birth record required for anyone under the age of 25 (other government documents accepted). Driver’s License acceptable for person over 25 years of age.
  • If both parties live outside the state of Michigan, the license MUST be used in Monroe County. If one or both of the parties live in Monroe County, the license will be valid in the entire State of Michigan.
  • Marriage licenses are $20 for Monroe County residents, and $30 for out of state residents. This fee is payable in cash or money order. NO PERSONAL CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
  • Marriage must be solemnized within 30 days of the date of issue IN THE STATE OF MICHIGAN. (In Monroe County for out of state residents)
  • Social Security card and/or number is required to issue license.


  • The marriage license is available for pick up on the 3rd business day following the application.
  • License is NOT available for pick up on weekends and legal holidays.
  • In emergency situations, a $50 waiver fee, to waive the 3-day waiting period, is available.
  • The marriage must be solemnized within 33 days of application.
  • Clerks Office is located in the Monroe County Courthouse, 106 E First St, Monroe MI 48161.
  • Persons 16 and 17 must show a certified copy of their birth certificate. Written consent of one parent or legal guardian, who must appear at the time of application, will be required. If parents are divorced, the parent must prove custodianship.
  • Additional information or documentation may be required before this office will complete the marriage license application.