Talk with several Facebook friends simultaneously
What to Know
- Tap the new chat icon >Create a New Group. Select group members, name the group, and tap Create. Type a message and tap Send.
- Remove someone: Tap the conversation, tap the group name >See Group Members. Tap a name and select Remove From Group.
- Add someone: Tap the conversation, tap the group name >See Group Members. Tap the plus sign and add new members.
This article explains how to use Facebook Messenger for group chats. Instructions apply to the Messenger app for iOS and Android. Messenger is also available for Windows 10 or via a web browser.
How to Group Chat on Facebook Messenger
If you’ve already created groups, you can reuse them in future chats. Here’s how to set up a group in Messenger and start a chat.
Open Messenger and tap the new chat icon.
In a browser, click the Facebook Messenger icon at the top of any Facebook page.
Tap Create a New Group.
Select people from your friend list to add them to the group.
Give the group a name. (This is an option for groups of three or more. You can change it later.)
You are automatically an admin for any group you create and you can control who is allowed in. If you’d like to require approval from you or another admin, tap the group name at the top, then tap Member Requests, and toggle on Admin Approval.
Remove Members of a Group
At any time, you can remove people from the group chat. Here’s how:
Open the group in the Messenger app.
Tap the group name at the top, then tap Members (tap See Group Members in newer versions of Messenger).
Select the friend you want to remove.
Tap Remove From Group.
How to Add More People to the Group
You can add people to a group manually through your contacts or by sending a share link that anyone can use.
New members can see all the past messages sent within the group.
Open the group you want to edit.
Tap the group name at the top, then tap Members (tap See Group Members in newer versions of Messenger).
Select the plus sign and choose new members from your Friends list.
How to Leave a Facebook Messenger Group
If you no longer want to be part of a group you started or were invited to, you can leave. Here’s how:
Open the group you want to leave.
Tap the group name.
Scroll down and tap Leave Group (or Leave Chat).
Tap Leave Group (or Leave Chat) to confirm. If you’re leaving a group you created, you can set a new admin. If you don’t, the first person you invited who is still in the group becomea the admin.
Leaving notifies the other members you’ve left. If you don’t want that to happen, you can delete the chat, mute the conversation and/or turn off notifications.
Do you have a bunch of friends that you want to chat in Facebook Messenger at once? You can create a group chat on Facebook Messenger, so all of your group’s conversation is in one place. This article will discuss how to make a group chat on Facebook Messenger.
Online messaging apps allow you to connect with someone even if that person is on the other part of the globe. The most popular messaging app is the Facebook Messenger app. Messenger offers real-time chats and even video calls to people who matter to you. You can make a group Chat on Facebook Messenger in case you want to reach a specific group of friends. Sending a single message in the group chat will send the message to all the people who are part of the group.
Start a Group Chat on Facebook Messenger
This article will guide you in creating your group chat in Facebook messenger app using your iPhone. If you are using an Android device, the steps should be somewhat the same.
1. Open your Messenger app.
2. You will be directed to your Messenger Home screen. It displays your most current conversation. Tap the Groups tab located under the Search box.
3. The screen shows you all the chat groups that you are included. Before the list, you will find the Create Group button. Tap the button to start creating the group.
4. The first thing you’ll need is to put a group name. It can be the name of your office department, company, or relatives. It can be anything that describes the group or its member.
5. A group is composed of two or more person. Select those you want to join the group. Put a checkmark in the circle beside their profile name.
6. Every time you include a friend, their profile picture will appear on the bottom part of your screen. This will also serve as a reference if you happened to add a wrong person. On the same line is the Create Group button. Tap on the button after choosing your group members. Your group chat is now ready for conversation.
Extra tips you can do in your group chat that will make you enjoy it more even if you are not the admin/creator of the group chat.
• You can change the name of your group chat
• You can upload a group chat photo
• You can change the nickname of each member
• You can select a color for the conversation
• You can set an emoji
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What if I forgot some friends to put on the list. Can I still add them?
A: You can always add more friends to the group chat. In fact, even the members can invite and add a friend to join the group.
Q: I am a member of a group chat, but it annoys me when notifications arise. Is there any way to not receive any of this?
A: If you don’t want to receive any notification coming from a specific group, you can turn it off. The Facebook Messenger has the Mute Conversation option for every group chat or even for one conversation. First, choose and open the group chat. Tap the group’s name on top then click the Notifications. You will then see the Mute Conversation option immediately.
Q: Can I tag someone in the group chat? How will it notify them?
A: The Facebook Messenger app can allow you to tag or mention a specific person in your group chat. All you have to do is type the @ sign followed by the name of the person. Upon typing the very first letter of the name, the messenger will show you a list. It’s a pull-up menu with member’s name starting with that letter. You just have to choose from the list. Messenger will notify the person and will inform that he/she was mentioned.
Before this new technology, who would have thought that this can be possible? Distance can only separate people physically. Connecting and reaching for them is now more satisfying and enjoyable. The Facebook Messenger never fails to do that. As long as there is an app like the Messenger, we will never be alone.
You just learned how to create a group chat on Facebook Messenger. If you have questions about any of the steps above, let us know in the comments.
You can make a group Chat on Facebook Messenger in case you want to reach a specific group of friends. Here is a step-by-step guide for creating a group chat in the Facebook messenger app using your desktop and Android device.
Facebook Messenger is a popular social media platform where people can send messages, photos, videos, and share their status with their friends and family. You can download Facebook messenger to communicate with people sitting an ocean apart. Facebook has a network of billions of users connected on a common platform. You can add your friends from your phone’s contact list as well.
You can make a group Chat on Facebook Messenger in case you want to reach a specific group of friends. Sending a single message in the group chat will send the message to all the people who are part of the group.
Here is the step-by-step guide for creating a group chat in the Facebook messenger app using your desktop and Android device.
Here is how to create a group chat on Facebook Messenger: Android
- Launch the Messenger app on your phone.
- Now tap on the “New Message” icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Scroll through the list of people, and then tap to place a checkmark in the empty circle to the right of any people you want to invite to a group conversation.
- As you add people to the group chat, their Facebook profile picture will be displayed in a row along the top of the screen.
- Then tap “OK” in the upper right corner of the screen after you’ve added everyone you want to add to your Messenger group chat. A new conversation screen for your group appears.
- Now tap on “Name Group” to give your group a name.
Here is how to create a group chat on Facebook Messenger
- Click on the “New Message” to the top left.
- Now select or type the name of each person.
- Then type your message and click on send.
One of the great things about chat apps is that you can create your own groups. This is invaluable if you have people with similar interests, or if you simply want to have a private chat between certain people. But how do you create chat groups and how do you then invite people to join?
It is not that difficult and today I will show you how to do it for the three main services. These are Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, and Signal. I will do it on the desktop versions of the services wherever possible.
How To Create Chat Groups In Several Easy Steps
Everyone likes easy so let’s start with the easiest of the lot – Facebook Messenger.
How To Create Chat Groups In Facebook Messenger
Go to Messenger and in the top left-hand corner, click the icon to start a new message.
You will now see at the top to type the name of a person or group. Since the group does not exist yet, start typing the names of people you want in the group. In this example, I added my wife and I. Continue adding people until y0u are finished.
But I will say from personal experience that some people do not like being added to groups without their permission. So ask them first.
This starts the group off and you can start chatting. Your messages will then be sent to everyone in the group, and you can see who has seen the message and read it.
On the right-hand side, under People, you will see who is in the group (I blanked them out here). There is also a link to add other people.
At the top of the right-hand sidebar, you can click on the title and change it to whatever you want. When you have the name of the group you want, click Done.
How To Create Chat Groups In WhatsApp
I can’t begin to count how many groups I am a part of in WhatsApp. So much so that I have muted all notifications to stop my phone beeping every two minutes. But there’s no doubt that having special interest groups on WhatsApp is great. My brother-in-law, for example, made a group for planning his wedding.
I suggest doing this on the desktop version or web version of WhatsApp as it is much easier. Obviously, everything will synchronize to your phone later.
Click the button at the top to start a new conversation.
Now click New group.
The nature of WhatsApp means you need to have the person’s phone number on your smartphone version of WhatsApp. If it is there, look for the name and add those you want to the group.
The group will then open up for the first time ready for chatting. If you click on the title at the top, you can change it to something more memorable, as well as upload a group avatar.
If you scroll further down in the group settings, you will see some other useful features. One is to mute the notifications (which I recommend you do if the group gets busy). The other is to make other team members an admin of the group.
If you look at the above screenshot, you will see that there is an option called Invite to Group via Link. This generates a clickable link which you can post online for the public to join. Or you can send it to certain individuals, lessening the learning curve for joining the group.
How To Create Chat Groups In Signal
I haven’t had too much experience making groups in Signal, as I am still trying to convince my friends to switch over from WhatsApp. However, making a group is relatively straightforward and painless.
With that said, the desktop version of Signal doesn’t seem to allow you to make a group. So you will have to do it on your phone.
Click the logo in the top right-hand corner to start a new conversation.
Click the Group icon in the top right-hand corner.
Name your new group and add whichever contacts you want to add. Then tap Create and the new group will open.
This is obviously on iOS but I would imagine Android is not much different. Maybe just a few cosmetic differences.
Sometimes it is easier to have an online “huddle” where you bring a group of people together into the same conversation. Every major chat service now supports group chats, including Skype. In fact, Skype may be the easiest of the lot with its group icon and quick clicking to add members.
With all this hype about facebook launched group bots with their Messenger, I also wanted to try it out. I already have a bot which you can chat with tete-a-tete, and I just wanted to allow this bot to be used in the chat group I created. I thought that it would be very easy just like with telegram bots: add a bot into a group like a normal person. It seems that I was mistaken. The bot is a page (app), not a person, so I cannot find it when I press ‘add people to conversation’ button. I could bot find any other way to use the bot into a group. Do I miss something? Do I understand the concept of facebook bots wrongly? Maybe someone can share their experience in creating a group bot for Messenger.
2 Answers 2
You can make a bot that behaves like a group
The most common scenario is where all users send the messages to the bot, and it identifies each with a UserId, to know who to respond to what.
A bot typically uses the userId to determine who to send each message to. With that only the recipient will receive it.
By removing this conditional that restricts the message to the recipient only, all users have received the sent messages.
With this just add an information about who is sending the message
a friend did this on Parlo
For regular Facebook messenger, you can add chat extensions to group chats but not bots. Chat extensions have much more limited capabilities.
It doesn’t seem likely that the capabilities you’d want in a chatbot will be available to chat extensions anytime soon. Below is a quote from Facebook’s Messenger engineering manager Mikhail Larionov at the 2017 F8 developer conference:
“Chat extensions do not listen to your messages. You cannot @ mention them. Instead, we are going all-in with webviews. Why? Because we want to reach user input and text is very limiting. We also don’t want bots to have access to your private conversations, and we don’t want to pollute your conversations with bot commands.” Source: Venture Beat
You can add bots to groups in WorkPlace Messenger which is a version of Messenger made just for businesses. Docs
Facebook has launched a new Facebook Messenger Rooms feature allowing up to 50 users. Read on to learn what is create a room on Facebook and how to create one.
Facebook’s new group video chat feature, Messenger Rooms, has recently gone live for users on both desktop and mobile devices. The new feature has been introduced to take on the likes of Zoom, Google Meet, Skype, and MS Teams, as there is a surge in the number of users turning to video chat services during lockdowns and quarantines.
It is essentially an expanded version of the company’s existing Facebook Messenger service and allows users to invite up to 50 people to join a video call using the Facebook app or Messenger. In addition, it does not come with any time limits on calls.
What is create a room on Facebook?
A Messenger Room is a drop-in video chat feature from Facebook. So when someone using the feature creates a room, Facebook will alert people using a dedicated section in the news feed or push a notification to users. People can actually start a video call from the Facebook app or Messenger and send out invites to different users, even those who don’t have a Facebook account. When a user creates a room on Facebook, they will also be able to control who sees their room in the News Feed by choosing whom to invite.
How to create a Room on Facebook?
To create a Facebook Messenger room from your device, you need to have the latest version of Facebook and Messenger apps. If you don’t have these apps, you can download them from the Google Play Store or the App Store, as applicable. Once you’ve installed the apps, you need to follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Launch the Messenger app on your device.
Step 2: Click on the ‘People tab’ which is at the bottom-right of the screen.
Step 3: Select ‘Create a Room’, and select the users that you wish to add.
Step 4: Now, if you want to share this room with people who don’t have a Facebook account, you simply need to share the link with them.
Users will be able to join a room using a phone or desktop. Facebook is also working on ways to allow users to create Rooms from WhatsApp and Instagram Direct, along with the Portal smart display.
The company is promoting the new feature using its Facebook app which features a carousel of cards at the top of the page that lists a number of friends’ faces and an option to “Say Hi.” When a user clicks on any of the cards, it gives the option to create a room with that person or send them a direct message on Messenger.
Over the next few months we are updating how your Portal’s home screen looks. Learn more about the new home screen.
How do I make group calls on my Portal?
This article applies to Portal
You can make group calls on your Portal using your Portal contacts, Messenger Rooms, and other apps. Other call participants do not need a Portal to join the call.
When you make a call from your Portal contacts, you can’t have both Messeger and WhatsApp users on the same call.
Group calls with Messenger connections:
With Portal, you can add up to 7 Messenger connections to a call for a total of 8 people, including yourself. You or other connections on your call can add any Facebook friends or Messenger connections to your call.
Group calls with WhatsApp contacts:
A total of 4 participants can be on a group call. However, if a call is started from WhatsApp on an Android phone or iPhone, you can have a total of 8 participants, including yourself. You or other contacts on your call can add any WhatsApp contacts to your call. In order to call any WhatsApp contact from your Portal, the contact must have WhatsApp open or in standby mode on their mobile phone.
To make a group call on your Portal:
- Start a call with one of the contacts you’d like to join the group call.
- During the call, tap the screen to view the menu.
- Tap .
Tap the person or people you’d like to add to your call.
When the person you’re adding to the call answers, they will join the group call.
How is Portal TV different from the other Portals?
Portal TV allows you to make video calls through your TV screen. The other Portals come with screens of different sizes and can be placed anywhere in your home.
Where is Portal available to purchase?
Portal is only sold in select countries.
How does calling work on Portal?
With Portal, you can make and receive calls to and from your Facebook friends, Messenger connections and WhatsApp contacts.
Looking for something else?
Get emails from Facebook about Portal and other Facebook hardware products.
Portal voice command availability varies. Learn more. Screen images simulated. User experience may vary. Requires wireless internet connection and Facebook or WhatsApp account. WhatsApp is not available on tablets. Features, functionality, and content vary and may not be available on all Portal models or in all areas and languages. Some features may require a Facebook account and downloading the Portal mobile app. Additional account registration, terms and fees may apply.
Looking to build your own Group on Facebook? Here are step-by-step tips for setting up your own social group.
Facebook is a social networking site (SNS) that connects people with friends and others who work, study and live around them. These types of social networking sites are designed to build upon interactions to create communities of people online. The social networking site provides the required software to do this.
Facebook, in particular, offers a way for individuals to create a profile of themselves, then share that profile with other members of Facebook. It also provides a variety of ways for users to communicate with others using instant messaging and chat rooms, Facebook site mail, notes and blogs, file sharing, forums, discussion groups, videos, and so on.
What is a Facebook Group?
Facebook Groups are pages that you create within the Facebook social networking site that are based around a real-life interest or group or to declare an affiliation or association with people and things. With a Facebook Group, you are creating a community of people and friends to promote, share and discuss relevant topics. The types of groups people can join on Facebook are seemingly endless. Here’s how you can create your own group on Facebook.
How to Create a New Facebook Group
In creating a Facebook Group you need to first decide on a topic or idea to center the group around. This could be a geographical location, a business, a favorite product, an artist or anything that you want to create a group for. You can use the Facebook search box to see if a group with the same name or similar idea already exists.
Once you have decided on the topic, you can then create the Group page on Facebook by following steps:
1. Log in to your own Facebook account and clicking the Profile tab at the top of the page
2. Select the Info tab from within your Profile.
3. Scroll down to the Groups section and select See All.
4. When you click See All a new My Groups window will load that shows all the groups you have subscribed to, as well as any group news and invitations you have. Under the My Groups heading click the link to Create a New Group.
The Create a Group form is made up of three different steps:
1. Group Info: Here you will need to provide specific information about your Facebook Group including a Group Name, the Network (choose your own network location or Global which is available to all Facebook users), a description of the group, and a category. Optional Group Info details you can include are: recent news, office, e-mail and address details. Once you have filled out this form, click on Create Group. This will load the second screen, Customize.
2. Customize: This is where you will specify member options and settings for the group you have just created. If you have a picture you want to use to represent the Group you can upload it from this screen, and you can also specify an associated Web site URL. The options that appear on this page are common Facebook options. By selecting (or deselecting) the check boxes you can choose to show or not show the following on your own Group page: related groups, a discussion board, the Wall, Photos and Videos (with permission for Group members being allowed to upload to the Group page), and posted items. You also will need to choose a Group Access level (open lets anyone join, closed requires Group admins to approve requests to join, and secret, which will hide the group in searches and members can join by your invitation). Once you have set all the Group Options, you can only select Save at the bottom, which will open a window prompting you to publish the New Group news to your own profile. After you publish the Group news, the Member screen will load.
3. Members: The members page is where you can invite your Facebook friends to join your group, choose Group Officers, and see who is currently subscribed to your Facebook group. You can also invite people who are not on Facebook from this page by entering in their e-mail addresses in the form box, separated by commas.
Facebook Group Admin Options
After you have created your new Group, from the Group page, you’ll find options that you can access to maintain your Group page.
- Message All Members lets you send a Facebook message to everyone subscribed to your Group
- Edit Group lets you change the information you entered when creating your Group
- Edit members lets you maintain your group members (same as screen above in step 3)
- Edit Group Officers lets you select Group members to be Officers
- Create Related Event lets you create an event associated for the group (for example if your Group was about a famous actor you could create an event for the time when a new movie he was in would be released).
Deleting Your Facebook Group
Facebook will automatically delete groups when they are empty, so if you decide that you do not want to keep the Group, you will need to remove all members from the group and then remove yourself.
Based in Nova Scotia, Vangie Beal is has been writing about technology for more than a decade. She is a frequent contributor to EcommerceGuide and managing editor at Webopedia. You can tweet her online @AuroraGG.
This article was originally published on January 22, 2009