How to file for a work visa

Many aliens want to come to the United States to work. This page provides a summary of employment-based nonimmigrant and immigrant visa classifications and other categories of aliens who are eligible for employment authorization. Each classification provides a link to more detailed information on its requirements.

A common way to work temporarily in the United States as a nonimmigrant is for a prospective employer to file a petition with USCIS on your behalf. The Temporary (Nonimmigrant) Workers webpage describes the main nonimmigrant temporary worker classifications.

If you have the right combination of skills, education, and/or work experience, you may be able to live and work permanently in the United States by seeking an employment-based immigrant visa. The Permanent Workers webpage describes the five employment-based immigrant visa preferences (also called categories).

If you live outside the United States and want to work here, you generally must apply for a visa from the U.S. Department of State (DOS), unless a visa is not required for people from your country of nationality. You may visit DOS’ Travel Without a Visa page for more information.

In many cases, USCIS must approve your petition before you are eligible to apply to DOS for a visa or seek admission at a port of entry. Before entering the United States, you must present yourself to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer and receive permission to enter the United States and engage in your proposed activity.

If you are in the United States in a lawful nonimmigrant status that does not provide employment authorization, you generally may apply for:

  • A change of status to a nonimmigrant classification that provides employment authorization; or
  • An adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident. This may be a concurrent filing with an immigrant visa petition or, depending on the circumstances, may require an applicant to obtain an approved immigrant visa before applying for an adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident.

Depending on the classification you seek, your change or adjustment of status application might require a U.S. employer or other qualified requestor to file an application or petition on your behalf to establish your eligibility before we approve your application. However, if you apply based on certain classifications (for example, an alien with extraordinary ability or as a nonimmigrant E-1 or E-2 principal treaty trader or investor), you may be eligible to self-petition, which means filing an application on your own behalf.

Additionally, if you are in the United States, including if you are an applicant for permanent residence or a certain family member of an alien who has lawful nonimmigrant status, you may file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, to request employment authorization and an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). You may also apply for an EAD that shows such authorization if your immigration status authorizes you to work in the United States without restrictions.

The conditions you must meet and how long you can work in the United States depend on the type of immigration status the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) grants. You must comply with all conditions of your employment authorization and the terms of your admission to this country. If you violate any of the conditions, you could be removed from or denied re-entry into the United States.

If you plan on working while waiting for your green card approval, you’ll need to apply for a work permit by filing Form I-765 (officially called “Application for Employment Authorization”). With a permit (also called an Employment Authorization Document, or EAD), you can prove to prospective employers that you are indeed eligible to work.

(If you’re applying for a family-based green card from abroad, you can’t get a separate work permit ahead of time—your work authorization simply begins once you enter the United States and receive your green card.)

Unless you have some other immigration status that allows you to work (e.g. H-1B), it’s important that you don’t do any kind of paid work until your work permit has arrived.

The good news is that getting a work permit is a relatively easy process, especially if you file the work permit application at the same time as the rest of your green card application.

In this guide, we’ll cover the process of filing Form I-765:

Looking to get your green card? With Boundless, you can fill out all the necessary forms in under 2 hours. Contact us today or check your eligibility online, at no extra cost.

Boundless bundles your green card with your work permit for no extra charge!

Processing Times

In general, it takes about 150–210 days (5–7 months) for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to process Form I-765. Previously, USCIS processed work permit applications within 90 days, but a growing backlog has caused additional delays.

If you’re looking to apply for a work permit with Form I-765, but you’re not sure how to proceed, contact Boundless today. We can help point you in the right direction.

Typically, the filing fee for Form I-765 is $410, but the work permit cost depends on a number of factors. The fee could be more if you are required to submit biometrics with your application.

Who needs to pay a biometrics fee?

The following filing categories need to pay an additional $85 biometrics fee, bringing the total for the work permit application to $495:

  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
  • Principal Beneficiary of an Approved Employment-based Immigrant Petition Facing Compelling Circumstances
  • Spouse or Unmarried Child of a Principal Beneficiary of an Approved Employment-based Immigrant Petition

Who is exempt from paying the filing fee?

There is no fee for filing a work permit application if it is included in the same package as your Adjustment of Status (AOS) green card application (as long as your Form I-485 was filed after July 30, 2007).

The Form I-765 instructions has a full list of who else is exempt from paying the fee.

Fee waivers

If you are unable to pay the filing fee, you may request a fee waiver by submitting Form I-912 (Request for Fee Waiver) with your Form I-765 and all supporting documentation.

If approved, both the filing fee and the biometrics fee will be waived, and you will pay $0.


According to USCIS, if you are eligible for a family-based green card, you are also eligible for a work permit. As long as you have a pending green card application (Form I-485), you may apply for the work permit. For more info, the Form I-765 instructions include a full list of all the I-765 eligibility categories.

How to Apply

You can file Form I-765 along with your green card application (Form I-485) or at any time after you’ve received a notice that USCIS has received your green card application. If you apply for a work permit in the same package with your green card application, you simply need to include a completed Form I-765 and two passport-sized photos.

Even if you’ve already submitted your green card application, you can still apply for a work permit by filing Form I-765 along with a copy of the notice from USCIS showing that your green card application (including the I-485 filing fee) was received.

Be sure to follow the direct filing instructions for Form I-765. USCIS requires that I-765 applicants file their application with the service center that will process their petition. Previously, applicants would send their application to one service center hub, which would then send their application to a different center for processing. Note: If you are filing the I-765 with another form, such as the I-485, file both forms at the address specified by the other form.

Required Documents

The following documents are needed to file Form I-765:

  • Copy of your I-94 travel record (front and back), if available, or a printout of your electronic I-94 obtained from U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
  • Copy of your U.S. visa (a document placed in your passport)
  • Copy of your passport photo page
  • Copies of previous work permits (front and back), if any
  • Two 2-inch-by-2-inch passport-style photos of yourself taken recently (print your full name and Alien Registration Number on the back of each with a pencil or felt-tip pen)
  • Copy of receipt notice (official acknowledgment letter) from USCIS that your green card application (Form I-485) is pending, but only if:
    • Your sponsor is a green card holder
    • Your sponsor is a U.S. citizen and you’re applying for a work permit after submitting your green card application (which would be unusual)

    If you have not been issued a work permit before, you must also submit a copy of one of the following forms of government-issued identification:

      and a photo ID
    • Copy of a visa (a document placed in your passport) that was issued by the consulate of a country other than the United States
    • Other national identity document with your photo and/or fingerprint

    Reasons for Denial

    There are two primary reasons that your work permit might be denied. The first is if you filled out the work permit application form (I-765) incorrectly, forgot to sign it, or left out a required element (for example, if you applied for the work permit after your green card application, and you failed to include a copy of the original USCIS receipt notice). The second, less common reason for denial is that your green card application is processed so quickly that you already have an approved green card before your work permit application is finished being processed. This is a good (if rare) problem to have, since once you have a green card, you don’t need a separate work permit in order to legally work.

    With Boundless, you get a professionally assembled green card application package — including the work permit application — arranged in the precise format the government prefers. Learn more, or check if you qualify for a marriage-based green card.

    If you’re planning to work in New Zealand and you’re not a citizen or permanent resident of NZ or Australia, you’ll need a visa that lets you work.

    Visa extensions during COVID-19

    For information about visa extensions during COVID-19, visit the Immigration NZ website.

    Who needs a visa

    You can apply for a visa to work here temporarily if you:

    • have a job offer from a New Zealand employer
    • are coming for a specific work-related purpose or event
    • have a partner here, and you want to join them and work
    • are from a country that has a special work scheme, or
    • have been studying here and want work here.

    Some work visas can also lead to residence — that is, the right to live, study and work here indefinitely. To apply you need to have skills, experience and qualifications that are needed for the New Zealand workforce.

    Note: If you’re an Australian citizen or permanent resident you can work, live and study in New Zealand — you’ll get a resident visa when you arrive in New Zealand.

    Choosing the right visa

    There are more than 80 visas that let you work in New Zealand. Before you apply, decide which visa is right for you.

    Application fees

    Find out how much it costs to apply, where to send your application or your passport, and how long it will take to get your visa.

    Before you apply

    You need to gather information about yourself and your plans for your time in New Zealand. What you need to provide depends on the visa you apply for. For all visas, you need to provide proof of your identity and good character. You may also need to provide information about your health.

    For many visas you need to find a job in New Zealand first.

    Note: Check the criteria for the visa you’re applying for. If you do not provide all the documents you’re asked for, your application takes longer to process.

    Proving your identity and good character

    You have to provide a photo, passport and other identity information.

    Depending on the visa you’re applying for and how long you intend to stay in New Zealand, you have to provide police certificates from countries you’ve lived in for more than 5 years since you turned 17. These help to prove that you’re of good character.

    Getting medical certificates

    Depending on how long you’re staying here and where you’re from, you may have to provide medical certificates or get a chest X-ray from a doctor approved by Immigration New Zealand (INZ).

    Translations of documents into English

    If you have to provide police or medical certificates and they’re not in English, you need to provide certified translations. INZ can also ask you to provide translations of any other documents that are not in English.

    English translations must be done by:

    • the translation service of New Zealand’s Department of Internal Affairs (DIA)
    • an embassy or high commission, or
    • a private or official translation business.

    Translations cannot be done by:

    • you — that is, the person applying for the visa
    • a member of your family
    • an immigration adviser helping with your application.

    How to apply

    You can apply online for most work visas. There are a few visas that you need to fill in a printed application form for, including some country-specific work visas.

    Applying online

    For most work visas, you need to set up a New Zealand Government RealMe account before you start your application.

    You do not need a RealMe account if you’re applying for:

    • a working holiday visa, or
    • a Silver Fern Job Search Visa.

    Before you start your online application, have all your supporting documents ready to upload.

    Getting a tax number

    Once you have your visa, apply for an IRD number from Inland Revenue. You give this number to your employer when you start work and use it for all your New Zealand tax matters.

    Work Visa is the permit issued for a foreigner to stay in Maldives for the purpose of employment.

    A person traveling to the Maldives for the purpose of employment will be granted 15 days from the date of arrival. In order to acquire this pre period, the foreign national should possess a valid Work Permit issued by the Ministry of Economic Development, which does not exceed 90 days from date of issue. Moreover, the foreign national should provide the same passport on arrival for which the Work Permit was issued. Re-entry on Work Permit without obtaining a visa is possible unless the Work Permit remains valid (within 90 days from date of issue).

    Work Visa process include a medical check-up which needs to be completed from a permitted hospital/clinic, and health insurance should cover within this period to apply for work visa.

    The consequences for not obtaining visa within the mentioned period results in penalization under the Immigration Act 1/2007, which include deportation from Maldives for overstaying.

    The issuance of Work Visa service is decentralized and is provided from Male’ (Visa Division, Star Cloud, 8th Floor, Majeedhee Magu), Hithadhoo Immigration Office (Addu City), Fuvahmulah Immigration Office (Fuvahmulah City) and Kulhudhuffushi Immigration Office (H. Dh. Kulhudhuffushi).

    Entry Requirements for Work Visa

    1. A machine readable (MRZ) Passport Bio-data page copy of the applicant (At least 1 Year validity).
    2. A valid Work Permit not exceeding 90 days from date of arrival.
    3. Traveler should provide the same passport mention in the Work Permit. , submitted within 48 hours prior to departure from the first port of embarkation. You may submit the form electronically via IMUGA.
    4. Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate, if applicable.

    Applying for Work Visa

    The following documents are required to apply for Work Visa and the employer or a representative of the employer shall submit the application for visa.

    1. Passport of the employee
    2. Copy of the Work Permit
    3. Passport size photo (Photo shall comply with Maldives Immigration passport photo standard and must be a recent photo)
    4. Medical health screening report of the employee issued from a Hospital/Clinic authorized by the relevant government authority
    5. Work Visa Application Submission Receipt (IM29)

    Maldives Immigration introduced online Work Visa service on 17 th November 2019. Hence, the employers and recruitment agencies shall apply for the service through Xpat Online System.

    With this enhancement, visa will be processed within 48 hours of submission. When the application is processed, applicants can request for an online appointment to submit the passport(s) for visa. Visa process will take 3 working days and the applicant will be notified when the passport is ready for collection. An online appointment shall be fixed once again for passport(s) collection.

    The UK is one of the World's most popular immigration destinations for people wishing to live and work in a new country. However, the UK's immigration system is restrictive. From 2008 to 2010 the UK's five tier, points-based UK Visa system was phased in, which measures applicants against various criteria designed to assess their eligibility for a UK work Visa.

    Work permit

    You cannot apply for a work permit directly. Your employer in the UK will need to apply on your behalf. The length of your permit will depend on the type of work you do and the sort of permit granted. If you have already found a job in the UK and been accepted to work, or you have a visa but it prohibits you from working, you may need to obtain a work permit.

    The work permit is for highly skilled and quality foreign workers who can add value to the growth and productivity of the UK. This visa category includes entrepreneurs, investors and exceptional talents.

    This category covers professions of the:

    • Doctors (Physicians);
    • Engineers;
    • Scientists;
    • Finance experts;
    • Innovators;
    • Entrepreneurs;
    • IT specialists;
    • Other

    Types of Employment Permit:

    • Tier 2 (General) Visa:
    • Tier 1 (General) Visa:
    • Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) Visa:

    You have been endorsed as an internationally recognized leader or emerging leader in your field in science, humanities, engineering, medicine, digital technology, arts or you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.

    • Representative of an Overseas Business visa:

    The sole representative of an overseas company planning to set up a UK branch or a wholly owned subsidiary for an overseas parent company

    An employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organization posted on a long-term assignment to the UK

    • Domestic Workers in a Private Household Visa:
    1. are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
    2. are a domestic worker in a private household
    3. have worked for your employer for at least 1 year
    4. meet the other eligibility requirements

    The UK immigration points-based assessment system

    The number of points you score on the UK points system determines your eligibility for a UK work visa. In the UK points system, points are awarded for the following:

    • Qualifications
    • Future expected earnings
    • Sponsorship
    • English language skills
    • Self-provided funds

    If you are a non-EU/EFTA national wanting to work in the UK, you will need a work permit UK relating to the type of work that you are doing. Most of the UK work visas require sponsorships from the UK-based employer so you will need to have secured a suitable job and sponsorship before applying for the UK work visa.

    Before you can apply, you must satisfy the following work permit requirements:

    • Have received a confirmed offer of employment from a licensed UK employer who will act as your sponsor; and
    • Be in possession of a Certificate of Sponsorship issued by your sponsoring employer; and
    • Pass the points-based assessment, details of which can be found on the category specific work permit pages listed below.

    How long it will take to get a decision:

    You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

    Служебная командировка наемных работников и внутрикорпоративный перевод

    Служебная командировка с целью оказания услуг во Франции

    ► Ваша ситуация

    Ваш наниматель, осуществляющий деятельность за пределами Европейского экономического пространства, поручает вам, в соответствии с вашим трудовым договором, выполнение работ или конкретной задачи на французском предприятии (учреждении) в рамках оказания услуг французскому клиенту либо в своих интересах.

    ► Необходимость предварительного получения разрешения на работу

    Ваш наниматель или французское предприятие, которому оказывается услуга, должны получить разрешение на работу во французских органах власти.

    Данное разрешение не требуется, если в ходе командировки, продолжительность которой не превышает 90 дней, вы осуществляете:

    • аудиторскую или экспертную деятельность в области информационных технологий, управления, финансов, страхования, архитектуры и строительства;
    • преподавательскую деятельность на нерегулярной основе в качестве приглашенного преподавателя.

    ► Ваша виза

    • Если длительность вашей командировки или деятельности по оказанию услуг не превышает 90 дней, вам будет выдана краткосрочная виза, продолжительность пребывания по которой будет соответствовать срокам вашей поездки, установленным вашим нанимателем. Вы не сможете находиться во Франции по истечении срока действия вашей визы.
    • Если длительность вашей командировки или деятельности по оказанию услуг превышает 90 дней, вам будет выдана долгосрочная виза, эквивалентная виду на жительство, с отметкой «travailleur temporaire» (временный работник). Ее необходимо подтвердить в срок до трех месяцев после вашего прибытия во Францию.

    ► Ваши подтверждающие документы

    К запросу на получение визы вы должны приложить разрешение на работу, выданное вашему нанимателю. Документы, касающиеся вашей личной ситуации и подтверждающие вашу квалификацию, приведены в визовом помощнике.

    Внимание: В случае если вам не требуется разрешение на работу, вы должны подтвердить, что в отношении работы или временной деятельности, которую вы будете осуществлять во Франции, применяются особые правила, а также что она соответствует вашим должностным обязанностям, возложенным на вас вашим нанимателем за рубежом.

    Служебная командировка или прием на работу во французскую компанию, принадлежащую к той же международной группе компаний

    ► Ваша ситуация

    Вы не менее трех месяцев работаете в компании, находящейся за пределами Европейского экономического пространства и принадлежащей международной группе компаний. Ваш работодатель поручает вам принять участие в экспертной деятельности или пройти обучение в компании (на предприятии) этой группы во Франции.

    ► Необходимость предварительного получения разрешения на работу

    Ваш наниматель или руководитель принимающей французской компании группы должны получить разрешение на работу во французских органах власти.

    ► Ваша виза

    • Вам будет выдана краткосрочная виза, продолжительность пребывания по которой будет покрывать сроки вашей командировки, но не превысит 90 дней. Вы не сможете находиться во Франции по истечении срока действия вашей визы;
    • Вам будет выдана долгосрочная виза, эквивалентная виду на жительство, с отметкой «travailleur temporaire» (временный работник), дающая право находиться во Франции от 3 до 12 месяцев. Ее необходимо подтвердить в срок до трех месяцев после вашего прибытия во Францию.

    ► Ваши подтверждающие документы

    К запросу на получение визы вы должны приложить разрешение на работу, выданное вашему нанимателю. Перечень документов, касающихся вашей личной ситуации и профессионального положения, приведен в визовом помощнике.

    Внутрикорпоративный перевод –ICT– в рамках служебной командировки руководящего состава или осуществления экспертной деятельности или прохождения стажировки

    ► Ваша ситуация

    Вы не менее трех месяцев работаете в компании, находящейся за пределами Европейского экономического пространства и принадлежащей международной группе компаний.

    Вы занимаете должность руководителя высшего звена, и ваш работодатель поручает вам принять участие в служебной командировке руководящего состава или в экспертной деятельности на высшем уровне.

    У вас есть диплом о высшем образовании, и ваш работодатель отправляет вас на обучение в компанию (на предприятие) группы. Такое обучение должно способствовать вашему профессиональному росту и освоению новых подходов и технологий в бизнесе.

    ► Ваша виза

    • В случае служебной командировки на срок более 12 месяцев:

    Вам будет выдана долгосрочная виза – VLS – с отметкой «salarié détaché ICT» (откомандированный сотрудник ICT) общим сроком действия три года, который отсчитывается с момента вашего прибытия во Францию. В срок до двух месяцев после вашего прибытия во Францию вы должны обратиться в префектуру по месту вашего проживания с запросом на предоставление удостоверения личности иностранца, дающего право на многолетнее проживание во Франции.

    • В случае служебной командировки на срок до 12 месяцев или обучения, продолжительность которого не превышает 12 месяцев:

    Вам будет выдана долгосрочная виза, эквивалентная виду на жительство, с отметкой «stagiaire ICT» (стажер ICT). Ее необходимо подтвердить в срок до трех месяцев после вашего прибытия во Францию.

    ► Упрощенный режим пребывания для вашей семьи

    Вас могут сопровождать члены вашей семьи: супруг (супруга), а также ребенок (дети), если в течение года ему (им) должно исполниться 18 лет. Они должны запросить визу с последующим получением многолетнего или временного удостоверения личности иностранца с отметкой «salarié détaché ICT» (откомандированный сотрудник ICT) или «stagiaire ICT» (стажер ICT). Срок действия такого удостоверения будет совпадать со сроком действия вашего вида на жительство, кроме того, члены вашей семьи получат разрешение на работу.

    ► Ваши подтверждающие документы

    Ваш наниматель и руководитель предприятия, куда вас направляют в рамках служебной командировки руководящего состава или осуществления экспертной деятельности, должны указать в формуляре 15619*01 условия исполнения вашего трудового договора. К данному формуляру следует приложить документы, касающиеся финансовой ситуации вашего нанимателя.

    Необходимо представить соглашение о стажировке (PDF [0,2 МБ]), подготовленное компанией или учреждением, принимающим Вас, подписанное Вами и Вашим работодателем.

    Эти формуляры и сопутствующие документы необходимо приложить к запросу на получение визы, в дополнение к документам, касающимся вашей личной ситуации и профессионального положения (перечислены в визовом помощнике).

    Are you interested in taking up a job in Germany or maybe working as an Au-Pair? If your answer is yes, you will find detailed information on the required documents here.

    Visa Needed?

    All persons who wish to seek gainful employment in Germany are required to obtain a residence permit in the form of a visa. Where needed, a work permit will be included in the visa issued for this purpose.

    Before submitting your visa application, please check here whether your foreign professional qualification needs to be recognized in Germany.

    Where and how to apply?

    Citizens of other countries are required to apply and obtain a visa for work purposes prior to entry at the German Embassy in Washington, the Consulate Generals in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York or San Francisco.

    All German Missions require that you schedule an appointment in order to apply for a visa. Appointments have to be booked via our free online appointment system.

    Click on the Consulate Finder below to find out where to submit your application and to learn about any specific application procedures. Due to local particularities handling and processing may vary slightly among the German missions involved.

    Except for rare instances, you have to submit your application in person. Upon submission of all required documents the application will be forwarded to the Aliens’ Authority (Ausländerbehörde) competent for your intended place of residence in Germany. Applications take about 1-3 months to be processed. After the application has been approved by the Aliens’ Authority and –if applicable- by the Work Office (Arbeitsagentur), the Embassy or Consulate General will issue a residence permit in the form of a visa, which will include the authorization to work in Germany. The Aliens’ Authority requires all residence permit holders to register upon their first arrival. A final residence permit will be granted in German after arrival.

    What do I need to fill out?

    • Application for D-Visa
    • Residence Permit Application Form PDF / 485 KB
    • Declaration of Accuracy of Information PDF / 197 KB
    • Visa Photo Examples PDF / 550 KB
    • Information on Data Protection

    Required Documents (Original + 2 copies of each document)

    Please Note: Although the information on this website has been prepared with utmost care, we can not accept any responsibility for inaccuracies contained herein.

    Recognition in Germany of Foreign Professional Qualifications

    The website “Recognition in Germany” provides up-to-date information on whether, how and where you can have your foreign professional qualification recognized and certified in Germany.

    The tropical climate and booming economy of the Philippines have made the country a popular destination for expatriates and companies in the process of expanding globally. But like any other country, the.

    Philippines Work Visas & Permits

    The tropical climate and booming economy of the Philippines have made the country a popular destination for expatriates and companies in the process of expanding globally. But like any other country, the Philippines has specific laws regarding visas for foreign nationals who wish to live and work within its borders.

    Reading Time: 3 minutes

    The tropical climate and booming economy of the Philippines have made the country a popular destination for expatriates and companies in the process of expanding globally. But like any other country, the Philippines has specific laws regarding visas for foreign nationals who wish to live and work within its borders.

    Types of Work Visas in the Philippines

    There are several types of visas available to foreign nationals seeking entry into the Philippines. Visas and permits for individuals coming to the Philippines for business or employment purposes include:

    • Temporary Visitor’s Visa for Business Purposes
    • International Treaty Trader / Investor
    • Special Non-Immigrant Visa Under E.O. 226
    • Alien Employment Permit (AEP)
    • 9(g) Pre-Arranged Employee Commercial Visa
    • Provisional Work Permit
    • Special Work Permit

    This guide will focus on the 9(g) visa, as this is the most common type of visa that is issued to foreign nationals coming to the Philippines for gainful employment. To apply for this visa, employees will first need to obtain an Alien Employment Permit.

    Requirements to Obtain Philippines Work Visas

    To obtain an Alien Employment Permit, employees will need to provide the following documents:

    • A completed application form
    • The employment contract and any related documents
    • A copy of the employee’s passport along with a valid visa
    • A copy of the business permit

    Applicants who are applying for a reissued permit will need to provide a copy of their current AEP in addition to these documents.

    Employees must have an AEP to apply for a 9(g) work visa. They must also secure a job with a company based in the Philippines before applying. The following documents are needed to apply:

    • A completed 9(g) work visa application form
    • The applicant’s valid passport
    • A notarized certification of the employer’s Number of Foreign and Filipino Employees
    • A certified copy of the AEP issued by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE)
    • A newspaper clipping that shows the publication of the AEP application by DOLE
    • A certificate of clearance from the Philippines Bureau of Immigration (B.I.)
    • An alien certificate of registration
    • Copies of the employment contract, the Articles of Incorporation (AOI), and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) certification
    • Any additional documents that support the applicant’s employment

    Application Process

    The process of obtaining a Philippines work visa begins with an application for an AEP from the Department of Labor and Employment. This application can be filed by the employer in the Philippines or the prospective employee.

    The application for a 9(g) work visa must be sponsored by the employer and can be filed through the Bureau of Immigration.

    It can take two to three months to complete the process of obtaining a 9(g) work visa, including two to three weeks for the AEP alone. Employees should plan to apply well in advance of their trip to the Philippines.

    Other Important Considerations

    There are a few considerations foreign nationals and their employees should keep in mind about work visas in the Philippines:

    • A 9(g) work visa may initially be issued for one to three years, depending on the duration of the employment contract. The visa can later be extended for an additional period of one to three years.
    • If an employee needs to begin working before the visa process is complete, they can apply for a Provisional Work Permit. An application for this permit can be filed as soon as the employee files an AEP application, and the permit can be issued in as little as two weeks. Like the 9(g) visa, this permit is issued by the Bureau of Immigration.
    • Employees should note that their AEP is only valid for the position they held when they applied. If the employee takes a job with another company in the Philippines or even accepts a different position within the same company, they will need to apply for a new AEP.

    Learn More About Globalization Partners

    Globalization Partners’ Service Provider Model enables you to obtain requisite services and complete projects in the Philippines with the support and assistance of designated Professionals without having to establish a legal presence in-country or be burdened with legal, HR, payroll, tax, and compliance matters in connection with hiring employees.

    At this moment, Globalization Partners does not offer support for processing work visas or permits in this particular location.
    For any other inquiries about our global employment platform, contact us today.

    A visa is an official stamp in your passport authorizing you to travel, work, or study in that country for a specified length of time. All countries, including the US, require a work permit visa for foreign workers; employers will not hire you without one.

    For select countries, short-term work permit visas are available by application. In other cases, such as for long-term employment, foreign employers will need to apply for the visa on your behalf. Student work exchange programs can legally assist students in obtaining a short-term work permit visa. Unpaid internships and volunteer positions may or may not require a work permit, depending on the host country’s regulations.

    It’s always safe to assume that you’ll need a visa, especially if you’ll be traveling for a purpose other than tourism. Check out the visa requirements for specific countries by checking with the embassy or consulate of the country you will be visiting. Embassy and consulate contact information can be found on US Department of State’s page that lists websites of foreign embassies or the US Department of State’s Country Specific Information. Perry International’s Visa Requirement database can be useful in determining what type of visa, if any, is required based on the reason for travel and the traveler’s country of citizenship.

    For a list of organizations that can help with student work permit visas see Work Permit Programs.

    Temporary employment visas are for persons who want to enter the United States for employment lasting a fixed period of time, and are not considered permanent or indefinite. Each of these visas requires the prospective employer to first file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). An approved petition is required to apply for a temporary employment visa.

    See our Temporary Employment Visa Categories on to determine which visa category might be appropriate for your purpose of travel to the United States.

    Required Documents

    All applicants for temporary work visas must bring the following required documents to their interview:

    1. Electronic application form DS-160. This application must be filled out electronically at This application will also be necessary to make an appointment for an interview. You must also bring a printed copy of your DS-160 confirmation page to your interview! Please make sure that the barcode of the application is printed clearly. See the example.
    2. A passport valid for travel abroad.
    3. A photograph taken within the past 6 months (photographs must be in color, 5cm X 5cm in size and on a white background). Only original photographs are acceptable. Photos that have been altered in any way (copied, digitally scanned, retouched, etc.) will not be accepted. For more information, please see requirements for visa photos (PDF-93kb). Application Form DS-160 allows for the photo to be uploaded to the electronic form. The Consular Section recommends you bring a photo to the interview even if the photo upload was successful.
    4. Petition – Form I-129 or the notice of action – Form I-797. This document filed in the Department of Homeland Security by the prospective employer.
    5. If the above forms are not available, the applicants must contact the Consular Section via E-mail and provide the petition number. The Consular Section will inform the applicant if the petition information has been made available to the Consular Section through internal channels. If the petition information is available in Consular Systems, the applicants are allowed to apply without the I-129 or I-797.
    6. For family members applying to travel with a temporary worker (spouses or children), documentary proof of your relationship to the temporary worker, such as marriage or birth certificate.
    7. Family members applying without the principal applicant must also demonstrate proof of the principal applicant’s status and employment in the United States.

    Fees: $190 application fee for each applicant.